top of page

What can I do when my F-1 visa expires?

The United States is the top host destination for international students worldwide. Despite the Covid-19 crisis, In 2020, over one million students were enrolled in higher education in the US.

The majority of international students who are admitted to study in the US are on an F-1 student visa. You’ll apply for this visa if you plan to study at a US college or university, or an approved English language program like Bluedata Internationa Institute.

Some of the students ask about what happens when their F-1 student visa expires. and questions would be like...

  1. Is it possible for me to maintain my F-1 visa status while I am still in the country?

  2. Can I travel outside the US once my F-1 visa expires?

  3. How do I renew my F-1 visa?

Here is some guidance we would like to offer you.

How can I maintain my F1 status?

As a knowledge, your F-1 status can cover the period when:

  • You are a full-time registered student

  • You are in the middle of an optional period of practical training (OPT) following the completion of your studies.

  • A 60-day “grace period” to prepare to depart the US

  • You are in the middle of a change of status

As long as you are enrolled as a full-time student at Bluedata International Institute and you are progressing towards completing your education journey inside of the USA, you are maintaining your F-1 visa status. This means that the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE) provides that you are legally allowed to remain in the country even though your F-1 visa as long as you maintain your I-20 status.

But unfortunately, some international students' legal F1 VISA status can fail, and here are the reasons.

  • failing to enroll full-time for a semester without authorization from our DSO

  • working off-campus without authorization

  • failing to extend your Form I-20

  • failing to apply to change your status

  • leaving the US for an extended period without making arrangements for a temporary leave of absence with your DSO

  • committing a crime

Can I travel outside the US after your F-1 visa expires?

Are you planning to travel outside the US after your F-1 visa expiration date while you have not completed your studies? Then you’ll need to apply for a new visa before you can re-enter the US.

Ensure that you have prepared all the documentation you need for your visa application and consider the time it will take to process your new visa. Following the information on USICE’s website, you should prepare these documents:

  • A Form I-20: travel section endorsed and signed by your school's DSO (Designated School Official)

  • Bank statements: showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses inside of the

  • Evidence: showing your intention to return to your home country after the completion of your study.

The Department of State (DOS) recommendation says that F1 students should apply for a visa in their home country. Check the DOS website for specific information concerning each embassy or consulate.

29 views0 comments


bottom of page